I’v had braces for a good nine months now, so I know a thing or two about them! I thought I’d share my experiences with them…
So, I had my braces fitted in December 2016; 10 days before Christmas! My first colour was Red because…. Christmas! They took a lot of getting used to and they hurt a lot for a while. The wire was very thin and I managed to bend it so I had to go to the orthodontist to get it fixed before I was due to get it tightened. I got them tightened early because the wire broke again, and I was then able to upgrade to a thicker wire. My first tightening was on the 31st January 2017 and my colour was blue! I liked the blue, but it was quite dark. It got to the point now that some of the time I even forgot I had braces because they had just become part of my mouth (after the initial tightening pain, which only lasts a few days!)
I don’t remember when the next tightening was, but I do remember I got pink. I like the pink, in fact I have pink on my braces now! The tightening after that I kept the pink! The next time. I got Pink and Blue and I think that was the tightening that I got elastic bands too. The add these little attach thingies onto your wire and then they loop the elastic band around it and around he bracket at the very back. I have this four times as I had four teeth at the back taken out (one from each ‘corner’). The tightening after that they didn’t replace the wire because I now have the strongest wire, instead they just make the elastic band tighter! I got purple at this tightening!
My last tightening was just this week, on Monday in fact! Again, they only made the elastic tighter! I got pink again! They’re still a little but sore but it’ll be fine in a couple of days! I’m not sure when I’m going to get them off… they originally said 18 months but it might be quicker than that!
MY BRACES TOP TIPS:
- Use teething gel to subside pain! I have a whole load of it and I use it when it’s particularly painful
- Only eat soft foods after getting tightened because otherwise it will hurt for longer!
- Use inter-dental (mini) toothbrushes to clean between the wire and your teeth! I also recommend using a manual toothbrush just after it’s been tightened so that it doesn’t hurt so much!
- Use mouthwash to wash food out of the wires!
- Use wax on the spiky bits to stop them ripping up the inside of your cheeks (because that hurts)
- Choose a colour that you’re going to be comfortable with for between 6-9 weeks because you can’t go back because you regret your choice after 3 days!
- If it really hurts, eat something COLD because the braces tighten when in contact with heat.
- Don’t eat really really sticky foods/sweets because it might break your brace!
- Same with fizzy drinks, be careful because the metal can erode from too much of it!
- Lastly, fight through the pain because at the end you’ll have really nice teeth!
Here’s a little gallery of images:
I hope you enjoyed this kind of post! There’s two good posts coming next week so make sure you keep updated with when I post!!
Please comment any post requests you may have because, you never know, I might fulfil your wishes!