First recipe post, hurray! Now, this is a but of a strange recipe post because normally I do baking things, such as cookies and cake but I thought that it would be a great idea (and to throw everyone off, muhaha!) to do an actual meal recipe (if you get my drift..?)
Macaroni cheese is great! It literally combines pasta……and cheese which is good because it means it can be quite plain (literally the pasta and cheese) but you can also add more to it, or serve it with different things to make it more flavoured, if that’s to your taste. But who can’t beat a basic Mac n’ Cheese! (well, except if you don’t like cheese… or pasta!)
So yeah, here we go!
- 150/180g Pasta (perhaps Penne, Macaroni, Fusilli, you get the idea!)
- 40g butter
- 60g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 80g grated cheese
- Pinch salt
1 .If the pasta isn’t a particularly fast cooking pasta, I recommend you start with putting the pasta on. Cook it in boiling water until soft (or ‘al dente’ if you want to get all Gordon Ramsey about it!)
Here is the Pasta, not actually cooking as only one of the hob rings work and I had to do the cheese sauce first. Thankfully, it’s that quick cook stuff!
2. Now you can begin on your delicious cheese sauce, Firstly you need to weigh and then melt the butter into a sauce pan.
Don’t base your butter measurements on that picture as I accidentally put in too much! You only need 40g!
3. It gets a bit weird from here, but now you need to add the flour and it looks a little bit like this:
This is butter and flour. Looks a bit gross, I know!
Cook this on the heat for a couple of minutes
4. Remove whatever ever that is from the heat and GRADUALLY add the milk.
Here’s the first splash of milk…
……Bit more added!
There, that’s how it should look… All the milk added now!
Put back on the heat once you’ve added all the milk and stir continuously until it begins to thicken!
5. Now the bit you’ve been waiting for, the cheese! Add MOST (not all) the grated cheese to your sauce and also add salt and pepper!
Cheesy, isn’t it?
Heat until all the cheese has melted, still stirring all the time!
The Cheese Sauce
That’s it for the Cheese sauce!
6. Now place a little bit of the cheese sauce in the bottom of an oven proof dish, like so:
Drain the pasta, and put it in the oven proof dish too!
Plop the rest of the sauce on top…
…And add the remaining cheese!
Very nearly done!
7. If you like, you can add sliced tomato to the top too! Put it under a hot grill until the cheese just starts to brown and the tomatoes (if there’s any) are cooked.
8. Macaroni Cheese can be served with triangles of toast (trUST ME, it’s GREATTTT!) or green salad leaves. You’d better prepare them whilst it’s in the oven…
Hahahhaha, ignore the dirty toaster!
9. When it comes out the oven it should look a little something like this:
It’s ready to serve…. Enjoy!
Mac n’ Cheese n’ Toast
So I hope you enjoyed that recipe! The next one will be a sweet thing, promise! There’ll be something for everyone!
Sorry for the terrible photos hahahah! Hopefully the nice ones on my other post will make up for it?
Oh yes, I highly recommend printing the recipe if you want to use it… and I dunno stick it in a scrapbook or something… Do what you want with it!